Do you always miss deadlines, no matter how hard you try? Does it often happen that a lot of tasks never get crossed off your to-do list, even though you spend all day working?
Not managing your time as well as you want leads to stress and decreased productivity. Here’s seven steps that will take your from chasing the clock to having spare time to yourself.
7 Steps for Better Time Management in 2015
1. Create a daily plan before the day even starts. Early in the morning or the previous night. That way, you won’t get caught off guard.
2. Learn when to say “No!”! Taking on more than you can manage creates clutter. For the little distractions that come in, like a chatty coworker, defer to a later period when you’ll have the time to spare.
3. Don’t sweat the small things. Getting every detail right is time-consuming and, ultimately, inefficient. Focus on the details that matter instead.
4. Keep a clock where you can see it. When you work on something you enjoy, you may get so engrossed in it that you lose track of time.
5. Outsource. If a task isn’t important, consider delegating. There are a number of online options for outsourcing different kinds of work. Just do a Google search on “outsourcing jobs”.
6. Focus. Multitasking doesn’t allow you to concentrate on your key tasks, so close off all these applications and tabs you aren’t using. For a focus boost, try meditating for 15 minutes before you start work.
7. Split your tasks into categories. Similar tasks fit together, to streamline the process.
Remember: your time is your nonprofit’s most crucial asset. Make sure you invest it wisely!